APPLE MOLASSES CAKE WITH HONEY ICING
This gorgeous, wholesome cake was inspired by one given by food writer Anna Jones in her wonderful bookA Modern Way to Eat.
- 1⅔ cups Healthy Baker Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp molasses
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150mls auzure Canola Oil
- 3 cooking apples
For the icing
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1¼ cups icing sugar
- small handful of natural almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C and grease and line a loaf tin.
- Sift your flour into a bowl with the cinnamon and ginger.
- In another bowl, mix the molasses, sugar, eggs and olive oil until well combined. Combine the wet and dry mixtures then fold in the apples.
- Pour batter into the loaf tin, smooth over the top and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake feels firm to touch and is beginning to pull away from the tin’s sides.
- Let cool in the tin for five minutes then turn out to a rack to cool completely.
To make the icing:
- Beat butter, honey and icing sugar together until soft and fluffy.
- Spread over the cooled cake and sprinkle with the nuts.