FRIED BUTTERMILK CHICKEN WITH GREEN YOGHURT SAUCE
This dish is such a treat and your family and friends will fall at your feet when you make it for them. Delicious, decadent and simple to make.
Recipe type: Savoury
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- For the coating
- 1½ cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 litre auzure Canola Oil
- For the green yoghurt sauce
- 1½ cups natural Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 handful mint
- 1 handful coriander
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- For the chicken, combine the salt, pepper, paprika and sugar in a small bowl.
- Place in a large zip-lock bag and add the chicken.
- Toss so the spice mix coats each piece well and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge about an hour before you want to start cooking it.
- To make the coating, mix the flour and spices together in a large shallow bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and baking powder.
- Preheat oven to 2000C and place a cooling rack over a tray lined with baking paper and line another tray with foil.
- Dredge a piece of chicken through the dry ingredients then the buttermilk mixture and place on the tray. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- Pour auzure Canola Oil into a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Once the temperature reaches 170 degrees celsius, start frying the chicken three pieces at a time.
- Fry for a couple of minutes on one side then turn and repeat.
- Transfer chicken to the foil lined baking tray and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Keep warm in the oven while you finish cooking the chicken and then cook for another 10 minutes while you clean up. (This is just for good measure as it’s never a good thing to bite into fried chicken and find it undercooked!)
- For the sauce - combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz to combine. Season to taste.
- Serve chicken with the green yoghurt sauce and lemon wedges.