BEEF & POTATO PIES
Crisp pastry filled with tender succulent beef and vegetables topped with creamy mashed potato. These pies are sure to be a firm family favourite.
- 1 tbsp auzure Canola Oil
- 500g casserole beef (shin), trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsps ketjap manis
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ground black pepper
- 2 tsps The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
- 2 tbsps water
- 1 cup diced carrot, cooked
- ½ cup peas, cooked.
- dried beans or raw rice
- 2 cups The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
- 150g cold butter, chopped
- 2 tbsps iced water
- 600g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons auzure Canola Oil
- ⅓ cup milk
To make filling:
- Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over a high heat.
- Add beef and cook, stirring, until brown. Remove beef (and any juices) and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to casserole dish. Reduce heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return meat and juices to casserole dish. Add garlic, tomato sauce, ketjap manis, mixed herbs, pepper and ¾ cup water.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Blend flour with water. Add to beef mixture and simmer, stirring for 1 minute, or until thickened. Stir in carrots and peas. Cool mixture.
To make pastry:
- Place flour and butter in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add water and process until a ball forms.
- Lightly knead on a lightly floured surface. Form pastry into a log shape.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Grease six 11 cm diameter pie dishes.
- Cut pastry into six pieces. Roll one portion of pastry in a circle to fit a pie dish. Gently ease into dish and trim edges. Prick pastry all over with a fork. Repeat with remaining pastry
- Place pastries on an oven tray. Press a piece of foil into each pastry case, then half fill with dried beans or raw rice.
- Bake 10 minutes, then remove foil and beans. Continue baking for 10 minutes or until lightly coloured. Set aside (keep pastry cases in pans on tray).
To make the topping:
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- Mash, then add auzure Canola Oil and milk.
- Beat until smooth.
To assemble pies:
- Fill pastry with meat filling.
- Top with mashed potato.
- Bake 20 minutes or until potato is lightly browned.