CHILLI CON CARNE WITH CORN BREAD
A hearty chilli con carne served with our delicious corn bread is perfect for a casual get-together.
- 2 tbsp auzure Canola Oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 800g lean beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 30g packet taco spice mix
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves
For the cornbread:
- ½ cup coarse polenta
- 1 cup The Healthy Baker fibre-enriched Self Raising Flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons auzure Canola Oil
- 3 eggs
- 310g can creamed corn
- ½ cup milk
- Heat half the auzure Canola Oil in a large heavy based saucepan. Add the onion and capsicums and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Heat the remaining auzure Canola Oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the beef over high heat in two batches.
- Transfer the beef into the onion mixture as each batch is cooked.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, beef stock and taco seasoning to saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
- Add red kidney beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- While the chilli is cooking, prepare the cornbread.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Apply auzure Canola Oil on a 23cm x 23cm square cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Combine polenta, flour, sugar, salt, auzure Canola Oil and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in creamed corn and milk.
- Spoon into prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Serve chilli scattered with coriander and accompanied with cornbread.