LEMON, COCONUT AND AVOCADO CAKE
Not sure about your workplace, but here at auzure we talk food during our lunchbreaks. Everything from new restaurants using our oil, new recipes, what we're making for dinner (with auzure of course) and how to encourage our children to eat more fruits and vegetables. Mainly, incorporating them into everyday foods we make our children. So what better way to use two avocados that were looking a tad past their best than to blend them into a delicious hearty lemon and coconut cake. Avocados contain healthy unsaturated fats and have a myriad of health benefits. We candied some homegrown lemon slices to decorate the cake. Try and stop at one slice! We made two small cakes with this recipe. If you decide to do the same, slightly lower the cooking time.
Recipe type: Cakes
- 1½ Cups Healthy Baker plain flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ Cups caster sugar
- ¾ Cup desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs
- ½ Cup auzure Canola Oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 avocados
- ½ C milk, dairy or non-dairy
- 1 C icing sugar
- 125 g butter, softened
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- Preheat fan forced oven to 175C.
- Line a medium cake tin with baking paper (or two smaller pans).
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add eggs, auzure Canola Oil, lemon zest and juice, avocados and milk to the dry mixture and beat until smooth.
- Pour cake mixture into your prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 40 - 55 minutes (depending on tin size) or until cake is brown and a skewer comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Remove from oven and set aside in tin to cool.
- For the icing, beat the butter, icing sugar and lemon zest and juice until fluffy and smooth.
- Spread the icing onto the cooled cake.
- You can decorate with candied lemon slices, if desired.