MISO, SWEET POTATO AND PUMPKIN SOUP
We've ramped up the soup stakes with this winter warmer: Miso, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin Soup! It's the perfect combination of creamy vegetable and umami goodness to make sure it hits the spot and warms you up on these long winter days and nights. You can even incorporate a protein hit in the soup, by adding a tin of rinsed cannellini beans before blending. Serve with a fresh loaf of sourdough and some butter and you're set for a warm night tucked up around the fire. Enjoy!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic, finely sliced or minced
- 3 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons auzure Canola Oil
- 1 large butternut pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 - 1½ Litres boiling water (or vegetable stock)
- 3 Tablespoons of miso paste, or to taste (we used instant chilli miso soup paste)
- 1 tin coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, pepitas and extra coconut milk to serve
- Pour auzure Canola Oil into a large pot, and add chopped onion, garlic and ginger.
- Gently brown until you can smell the garlic and ginger.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and sweet potatoes and stir until combined with browned onion mixture.
- Add the boiling water/vegetable stock and stir through your chosen miso paste. You may need to add more water if you used large sweet potatoes. Ensure the water covers all the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, before turning heat to low.
- Allow to simmer with the lid on for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Turn heat off and add the coconut milk, before blitzing with a stick blender or ladeling the soup into a stand blender or thermomix to blend. If you wish to add a protein hit, add the tin of cannellini beans prior to blitzing.
- Heat before serving.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and sprinkle with pepitas or a nut mix.