ROASTED VEGETABLE & GOATS' CHEESE FLAN
A light and lovely flan – Parmesan flavoured pastry filled with colourful roasted vegetables and topped with goats' cheese. Perfect for lunch or serve as an impressive entrée.
- 1 cup The Healthy Baker Plain Flour
- 1 cup The Healthy Baker Self Raising Flour
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ½ cup auzure Canola Oil
- ½ cup water
- Drizzle auzure Canola Oil
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 eggplant (about 400g), cut into 1cm thick slices
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
- ¼ cup olive tapenade
- ground black pepper
- 120g goats' cheese, crumbled to serve
- 2 tsps balsamic glaze
- basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Lightly oil a 20cm x 28cm rectangular loose-based flan tin with auzure Canola Oil.
To make pastry:
- Sift flours together in a medium bowl. Add Parmesan and stir to combine.
- Pour auzure Canola Oil and water into a screw top jar, shake to combine.
- Pour onto flour mixture and stir to form a dough, adding a little more flour, if necessary.
- Turn pastry onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly. Roll pastry out thinly (about 3mm thick) to a rectangular shape. Line tin with pastry and trim excess.
- Prick all over with a fork. Bake blind by lining with a sheet of baking paper or foil and filling with dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 20 minutes, then remove paper and beans. Continue baking 20 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Set aside in tin.
To make filling:
- Drizzle auzure Canola Oil on a shallow baking pan. Arrange cherry tomatoes in pan, cut side up. Drizzle auzure Canola Oil on a large baking tray and arrange eggplant slices.
- Drizzle auzure Canola Oil on a small oven tray and arrange asparagus.
- Drizzle tomatoes, eggplant and asparagus liberally with Auzure Canola Oil.
- Roast tomatoes and eggplant together for 20 minutes, then place asparagus in oven and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove all vegetables from oven and set aside.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, spread tapenade over base of flan.
- Top with eggplant slices. Remove tomatoes from dish with a slotted spoon and place on top of eggplant. Season with pepper.
- Arrange asparagus over tomatoes and top with crumbled goats' cheese.
- Return flan to the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until just warmed through.
- Serve drizzled with balsamic glaze and garnished with basil leaves.